- The Chicago Astronomer -
Copyright 2004-2014 All rights reserved by Joseph Guzman Administrator/Founder/Chief Astronomer.
All text and images are the property of the original authors/artists and shall
not be used without permission.
I wasn't able to do the suspension lift on my camper with PVC, but other than that I can't think of anything.
I don't have any spare focusers laying around, so for now I am relying on being able to slide the diagonal in and out a bit, and I can slide the eyepiece in and out a bit. It's pretty much set at infinity with everything pushed in all the way. That should be good for use as a finder.
Next I have to paint it and rig up some cross hairs.
I got a chance to mess around with the finder some more.
I switched the objective to one from a pair of 7x35 binoculars. The 50mm set up was going to be too heavy to use on the Ares 5 scope.
I also switched to using the tubing from the ridiculus 1.5x Balow/Erecting eyepiece that came with my 70mmx800mm refractor instead of the PVC.
The coolest part is that I found the correct spot to add a reticle! I made my own reticle using Inkscape and printing the design onto an overhead transparency film. It's not the best, but I really wanted something that I could use to estimate the field of view.
These pictures were taken afocally using a Canon Powershot 230 HS at different levels of zoom.
When I tried it outside and looked at the moon, it was just about the same size as the center circle. Base on that I am getting about a seven degree FOV.
I have to make a bracket for it so I can try it out on the 102 Mak.
Tonight I used some scrap walnut to create a dovetail base for the finder. I have to decide what to use for the stalk. I also used some of the walnut to make a new dovetail rail for the Mak. The square piece of oak wasn't quite secure enough.